Unable to access Manage Content & Structure in MOSS 2007

I'm currently unable to access Manage Content & Structure on one of our MOSS 2007 websites.
It reports the following error:

Value does not fall within the expected range.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListItemWorkflowsAsSafeArray(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Int32 lItemI, Guid& pWorkflowInstanceId, Guid& pGuidTemplateId, Int32 inclusiveFilterState, Int32 exclusiveFilterState, UInt32& pdwColCount, UInt32& pdwRowCount, Object& pvarDataSet)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListItemWorkflowsAsSafeArray(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Int32 lItemI, Guid& pWorkflowInstanceId, Guid& pGuidTemplateId, Int32 inclusiveFilterState, Int32 exclusiveFilterState, UInt32& pdwColCount, UInt32& pdwRowCount, Object& pvarDataSet)

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is so I'll outline what's happened:

I imported just a list (document library) from site A to site B using the Content and Deployment Wizard - the list was imported fine and all was working as expected.

I then deleted the list through Site Libraries and Lists (customise ListA) and I thought that was the end of it.  When I then tried to re-import the list it reported the following error message:

FatalError: The specified name is already in use.

I then discovered that the list was still resident in Site Libraries and Lists but when clicking on it it reports the following error:

List does not exist

The page you selected contains a list that does not exist.  It may have been deleted by another user.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListsWithCallback(String bstrUrl, Guid foreignWebId, String bstrListInternalName, Int32 dwBaseType, Int32 dwBaseTypeAlt, Int32 dwServerTemplate, UInt32 dwGetListFlags, UInt32 dwListFilterFlags, Boolean bPrefetchMetaData, Boolean bSecurityTrimmed, Boolean bGetSecurityData, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter p2DWriter, Int32& plRecycleBinCount)

I'm not sure if this is relevant but the list has a GUID based URL:


rather than the typical /lists/name/allitems.aspx format.

To my further horror I then discovered that users were unable to access the Manage Content & Structure.  The rest of the site is working perfectly fine.

So basically the list has been deleted, SharePoint reports that it does not exist but yet it's still there and I've been unable to find a way to delete something that doesn't exist.  Now obviously Content & Structure is looking for the phantom list as it starts and it's unable to find it so any suggestions as to how I could find it would be appreciated.


Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

it_opsAuthor Commented:
Many thanks for the reply ambot13 but unfortunately not.
I think they key to finding the solution is being able to locate the phantom list, it's curious how SharePoint reports it as being there but I'm unable to actually access it.
I'll check on any further replies in the morning.
Many thanks again.
OK, one more thing to try would be to determine if it's an orphan: http://blogs.technet.com/corybu/archive/2007/05/31/sharepoint-orphans-explained.aspx

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
it_opsAuthor Commented:
Thanks again ambot13.  Thankfully I've resolved the issue this morning.  I think the problem definitely was orphan related but thankfully I didn't have to detach/attach any content databases (I'll award you the points for referring to the SQL orphan article).  

I'll outline the procedure for you:

I did a search on the Content database for the web application, using the GUID as the search query.  This yielded the following result:
select * from dbo.alllists where tp_id = '{ED7FE381-1140-4657-8734-7B1D784C7946}'
The DeleteTransactionID looked suspect (its value was 0x) so the SQL server had obviously gone bananas at the point of deleting the list.

To delete the phantom list I ran the following:

delete from dbo.alllists where tp_id = '{ED7FE381-1140-4657-8734-7B1D784C7946}'
Manage Content & Structure was then immediately available.
Thanks again.
it_opsAuthor Commented:
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SharePoint

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.