I have a situation where a specific Crystal report running on a specific computer will hang when connected to either of two network connections available at the user's desk. We recently replaced this user's XP/SP3 pc with a much faster W7 Pro 32 machine.
The report in question ran fine on her old XP machine, although it is one of the slower reports we have. After setting up her new W7 workstation, she was no longer able to run this one particular report. All other Crystal reports run fine on her W7 machine, just not the one in question. She has both a 100mb and a GB network connection at her desk. W7 reports both connections as operational, and they both will run all other Crystal reports.
If I move the W7 machine to other desks (still logged in as her or as me), the report will sometimes come back, and sometimes not. If I move the W7 machine to my desk (still logged in as her or as me), the report runs every time, often in less than one minute (average for this report has always been 3 - 5 minutes). All 5 other users of this report can run it with no problem (they are all on XP/SP3).
This is the first and only Windows 7 workstation we have. If I hook the user's old workstation up, she can continue to run the report just as she always did.
All our Crystal reports are run out of the Sage AccPac ERP 200 v5.5 accounting software. This is a custom report that resides in a directory on our database server. Other custom reports running within Sage from the same directory work fine on her machine. In addition, other users continue to run the problematic report on their XP machines.
Specs on the W7 box are as follows:
-Windows 7 32 Bit Pro
-Dual Core E5300 @ 2.6Ghz
-User is an administrator on the pc
-System DSN "xyz"32 using the SQL Native Client driver*.
-The system dsn connects to the SQLServer 2005 using SQLServer authentication with the SA credentials.
-The dsn uses ANSI quoted identifiers
-The dsn uses ANSI nulls, paddings, and warnings.
-The dsn is set to perform translation for character data.
* Of note: W7 required the Native Client driver to work, the XP machines work with the SQL Server driver. Normally, the Sage Workstation setup creates the DSN, but we had to create it manually in W7 using the Native driver.
Installed software on the W7 machine:
-Crystal 2008 SP2 v220.127.116.110
-.NET FW 1.1
-MSXML 4.0 SP2
-MS Office 2003
Specs on our SQL Server:
- Windows Server 2003 SE, SP2
- IBM Xseries 226 3Ghz Xeon w/4GB Ram connected to GB switch.
- SQL Server 2005