I have moved a user from server2 to server1. Server 1 and server2 are at different locations. I initiated the move on server 2.
Looking at the ESM (exchange system manager) and expanding the server, storage group and looking at mailboxes i can see the mailbox now exists on server1 and not server2.
When using 'active directory users and computers' on server 1and looking at the exchange properties of the user the mailstore is apparantly on server2. Doing this on server2 says that the mailbox is on server1.
The client is unable to connect to exchange even if I re-create the profile locally on the pc or use webmail to connect.
The client can talk to the machine ok and resolve FQDN ping etc.
I have also done an update on GAL and offline address book.
I also tried to do a move for the mailbox back and this failed (initiated from either server)
I cannot restart the mailstore as there are too many people on at the moment and this is scheduled for tonight just in case.