Exchange 2010/Outlook 2007 GAL error (0x80040115)

I am receiving the following errors on a few machines (all running XP & Outlook 2007).

"Task 'Microsoft Exchange' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.' "

"Microsoft Office Outlook cannot download your offline address book. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

Points of note:
1.) This happens when I go to Send/Receive->Download Address Book -> OK

2.) This also happens to one user when trying to schedule a meeting (sending the request).

3.) After rebuilding one Outlook profile, the address book updated the first time (we could see one additional contact that wasn't there before the rebuild), but the error still reoccurred after the initial rebuild.

4.) One of my users CAN NOT work in cached mode because it will not download new information from the Exchange server. It will say "This folder was last updated on (date)(time)."
However when I take the user out of cached mode, Outlook functions normally. This is also the SAME user that I did the Outlook Profile rebuild on.

I feel that all the issues are related to some kind of common connection problem between the users' Outlook and the Exchange server.  Please let me know if additional information will be useful in resolving this issue.
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

try taknig out of cache mode, deleting the cache file (.ost) on the local disk, then putting back into cache mode to recreate the cache file.
Britt ThompsonSr. Systems EngineerCommented:
This sounds like a DNS issue or a Global Catalog problem. Or, maybe rebuilding the GAL server side.

Exchange 2007 Management Shell type ->
Get-OfflineAddressBook | Update-OfflineAddressBook

Then go to the users and try to download the GAL again.

Check the logs on the Exchange server to see if you see anything regarding the Global Catalog.
Sleestack90Author Commented:
@1peterx: I tired this during the Outlook Profile rebuild. My users are very picky and like to keep this information, so I just rename this .ost file to 'old' and let it create a new one. This did not solve the issue.

@renazonse: I will take a look at this suggestion, and report back.
Creating Active Directory Users from a Text File

If your organization has a need to mass-create AD user accounts, watch this video to see how its done without the need for scripting or other unnecessary complexities.

Sleestack90Author Commented:
I attempted to use the 'update' OAB function in the Exchange 2010 Management Console. Basically you can look at all your OABs and select the one you want (we only have one), right click and select 'update'.

When I did this it threw back this error:

Microsoft Exchange Error
Action 'Update' could not be performed on object 'Default Offline Address Book'.

Default Offline Address Book
Couldn't find database "DOMAINNAME.local/Configuration/Deleted Objects/Public Folder Store (OLD EXCHANGE 2003 SERVER)
DEL:ec77c3ad-4128-46d6-9bc0-176b67d717bc". Make sure you have typed it correctly.


So basically this is looking on our old Exchange 2003 server for the default OAB (as far as I can tell). Any idea how to make this change? Obviously I change the DOMAIN NAME and OLD EXCHANGE 2003 SERVER names to protect the innocent.

Make sure that Exchange 2010 is the OAB generating Server and if you have enabled public folder distribution for OAB ( go to properties of OAB > distribution)
Open public folder > system folder > Offline Address book go to properties > replicatioon tab > and make sure there is only exchange 2010 and if you have ex 2003 there which is not there in environment just remove it.

try to update the OAB now if doesnt work

Create new OAB and on the database choose the new OAB to be used by clients.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Sleestack90Author Commented:

We checked the replication tab, it's the Exchange 2010 server.
We also created a new GAB on the server and switched the default GAB to the new one. We were able to update the new GAB, but not the old one.

We then waited for 40 minutes, to see if the local machines would pick up the new server, but they were not able to get to it. Upon trying to download the new GAB we recieved the following error:

Task '' reported error (0x8004010F): 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.