SQL Replace question

I ahve something like PRLT12345 in a field in records.
i need to replace the PRL with PR.
Whats the ebst way to do this??
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Om PrakashCommented:
To View
declare @t varchar(100)
set @t  = 'PRLT12345'
select replace(@t, 'PRL','PR')

Or To update:
Update your_table set field = replace(field, 'PRL','PR')

Rajkumar GsSoftware EngineerCommented:

UPDATE YourTable 
	SET YourColumn = REPLACE(YourColumn, 'PRL', 'PR')
	WHERE YourColumn = 'PRLT12345'

Open in new window


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
FemSteenkampIT managerCommented:
use patindex and substring if teh replacement is mid string to first find it and then exlcude it

or if it is always first in the string
set field = 'PR' + substring('PRLT12345',4,len('PRLT12345'))


It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SQL Server 2005

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.