1) Cisco 2811 router running 12.4
2) Branch office where the cisco router handles DHCP.
3) DNS servers are external ISP DNS servers
I'm trying to figure out how to get the router to intercept/rewrite DNS queries to certain domains and redirect the user to alternative domains. I can easily do this if I control the DNS servers, but in the branch office, they are using the ISPs DNS servers (which are handed to the clients by the router DHCP). Whats the best way to do this?
Few more specific questions:
1) Can the Cisco router act as a DNS server? caching DNS responses and forwarding DNS requests if it doesn't have it in cache?
2) Is it possible to rewrite DNS responses relatively easily (if it's a pain, it's easier just to block the ips)?
3) Is the "ip name-server" command only used to specify DNS servers used for the routers own internal lookups, like ping/trace? It has nothing to do with the DHCP pool dns-server command that specifies what DNS servers to send to the DHCP clients, correct?