We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Issue installing sp1 or sp2 on windows 2003 small business server, com events

fbs-helpdesk
fbs-helpdesk asked
on
hi,
everytime i install a service pack onto my sbs i get the following event error over and over:

The description for Event ID ( 10022 ) in Source ( COM ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: machine-default, C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\mad.exe.

i can not view this event properly until i uninstall the the sp again. The server has all other updates installed.

anyone have this issue before
Comment
Watch Question

Shreedhar EtteTechnical Manager
Top Expert 2010

Commented:
Refer this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934701

Hope this helps,
Shree

Author

Commented:
i don't have another 2003 server on the domain, i have a virtual enviornment so i will create one and give it a try, i'll let you know how that goes.
Here is the fix

Cause:
-----------
-• The Security Permissions has been changed.
-• The Third party application has reset the DCOM Permissions.

Resolution:
-----------------
• We can try running the SECEDIT command to reset the security permissions
. We can also use the Security Console to reset the permissions.


We have now Reset Permission Using the security console :
------------------------------------------------------
1. Click Start, click Run, type mmc in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the Console menu, click File, click Add\Remove Snap-in, and then click Add.
3. In the list of available stand-alone snap-ins, click Security Configuration and Analysis, and then click Add.
5. Click Close, and then click OK.
6. Right Click on Security Configuration and Analysis and click Open Database
7. Type Default Security and press open
8. Select Setup Security.inf to open
9. Right Click on Security Configuration and Analysis and click configure computer now
10. Right Click on Security Configuration and Analysis and click analyze computer now
11. Deleted the Default Access Permission from the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole and

We Opened Registry
Backed up the key :

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE

Deleted "Default Access Permissions"
Deleted "MachineAccessRestriction"
Deleted "MachineLaunchRestriction"

Also registered the licdll.dll file

Rebooted the Server .

Thanks all for the help