* A Windows XP SP3 machine using the Classic Start Menu sporadically does not respond to mouseover motion or clicking. This started about a week ago, before applying this month's MS patches.
* I have not observed it to fail to respond to the keyboard.
* When the Start button is clicked the Start Menu opens and displays correctly, however moving the mouse over the menu items does not highlight the menu item as it should. Also clicking the menu item even when not highlighted does not work.
* If the Start Menu is open and the mouse is over a menu item, the right and left arrow keys can be used to select the item and it will highlight. The up and down arrow keys can not be used to navigate the menu. There is no way to launch the selected menu item. Pressing enter, space, or clicking do not work even if the menu item is highlighted.
* The Start Menu cannot be opened using the Windows Key and cannot be navigated or tabbed to using the keyboard.
Attempted fixes so far:
- Reboot does not affect the issue
- Malwarebyes scan (only one issue found and quarantined.)
- Ccleaner run, including reg cleaner
- attempted to run sfc /scannow, but even when using original CD too many files are not found (CD slipstreamed to SP3)