We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Mainmenu Order

In a Joomla version 1.5.15 website I have a "Conferences" submenu off the mainmenu. Under the "Conferences" menu in the following order I have "2011 Conferences", "2010 Conferences" and then "Past Conferences". However, when I test the site the menu order is not the same. It list first the "2010 Conferences", then "Past Conferences" and lastly "2011 Conferences". What would overrule the defined order in the Menu Manager?



Thanks!
Comment
Watch Question

Hi Fgriffin

if you go into admin>>menus>>main menu and selct it it produces the menu items you have - you can then change the order by changing the numbers in the box (1 in the image) or clicking the green arrow up and down (2 in the image)

This will change th eorder for you. If you choose to change the numbers in the box (option 1) then make sure you press the little floppy dic icon at the top of the numbers (3 in the image) to save the order

hope that makes sense

regards

mark
menu.png

Author

Commented:
Hey Mark,

As I said, I have the order I want set perfectly in the Administrator/Menus/Mainmenu. But when I view the site (front-end) the Conferences  submenus are not the same as in the backend. I don't think I have ever seen this happen before. Yes, I did clear my cache and refresh my browser.

Thanks,

Frank
ok sorry frank

can you give a url?

regards

mark
Hi,
When you create a Menu item - internal link
there is a setting called  Parameter Basic  / Order (dropdown list)  --right section
Didi you set it to Title Alphabetical?

Author

Commented:
No sorry, I can't release the URL. But think of your own experiences with Joomla's menu structures: what would cause the front-end to be a different order from the back-end Administrator/Menus/Mainmenu.

I have been working with Joomla for more than five years and I have never encountered this issue.


Thanks!
probably a template issue

Author

Commented:
No it wasn't a template issue. I solved it by recreating the menu items at the end of the Mainmenu table and deleting the old menu items and then moving the new copy into place. This was a very strange issue.
Usually this problem occur because there is more than way to set the menu link's order, one way is with the order number and the other way is by the ID/alphabetical/date etc.
Also this can be more complicated when using some component that have their own menu setup.


very strange one though Frank but thanks for posting the solution - never come across this my self bujt with your help we can solve this if it does happen

good luck

regards

mark
Commented:
Hello Lenamt,

I had tried changing those settings just to if it would make a difference. The only thing that worked was to recreate the sub-menu structure and delete the old one. Once I did that it worked just as expected.