We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Cat5 cable installation standards?

L3370 asked
Is there a cabling running certification standard for Cat5?

I know electrictians and general contractors must follow regulations and good practice standards for laying cabling--and in many instances must be certified on specific details
Is there a certification or equivalent standard for those that run Cat 5 or any data lines?  Something like IEEE or ISO standards..
Watch Question

The Standard concerns the Pin Out.  Either a 586A or 586B.

As far as other cableing you'd need to know your local codes as far as what is acceptable in your area.  If you don't know, then it is typically best to hire that portion of the job out to an electrician and you can put the ends on or just have them do the whole cabling part...include LABEL the cables and outlets though...otherwise...YIKES!!!
I don't think there is anything that formal, although I could be wrong. The 'certifications' I've seen are kind of along lines of manufacturer sponsored.. ie. Levitron, Panduit, etc. Similar to being a "Dell Certified" technician.
Nope, there aren't any standards for running cable.

Each city, county, or state in the US, however, has its own code on what is allowed and what is not allowed when you run low voltage wire. Electricians have to know this stuff and it is different in each location. That really only applies if you have to get the work inspected (occupancy, fire, etc)
Les MooreSr. Systems Engineer
Top Expert 2008
The physical standards are generally governed by TIA/EIA 568 standards
And, as pointed out above, each locality is subject to their own fire, electrical, and other building codes that the local installers need to know about.

BICSI sets the training and certification standards for installers.
The current cabling standard for Cat 5e and Cat 6 are contained in ANSI/TIA 568-C.1 (February 2009) Commercial Building Telecommunications Wiring Standard published by Telecommunications Industry Association http://tiaonline.org . The standards are frequently referred to as "structured cabling" and govern the placement of both horizontal and backbone wiring.  The main standard has the same number, but with out the ".1" and also covers general concepts, component standards, and optical fiber (sections .0, .2, and .3).

BICSI, which lrmoore mentions above, publishes its own manual of standard practices that incorporates the TIA standards but adds more detail and requirements that incorporate fire-protection, grounding/bonding, and other industry practices.  BICSI has a manufacturer-independent certification program for designers and installers of cabling, network, and wiring components.  http://www.bicsi.org  

In my experience, many bid jobs require manufacturer-specific certification in lieu of, or in addition to, BICSI certification.  However, some jobs simply require that installers have certification by any manufacturer, since installation techniques and concepts are essentially the same.

Be aware that there are two TIA standards for the order (color code) in which the wires are connected to the patch panels or wall jacks.  You can use either, but must ensure that the same standard (568A or 568B) is used on both ends!  Patch cords don't matter.

Installers must also follow local installation codes, which normally relate more to the NEC (National Electrical Code) published by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association).  There are similar codes in Europe, Asia, and other areas.  In some jurisdictions, cabling installers must be licensed.

There are a number of excellent books if you want to study this subject in more detail.


Thanks all for confirming.