Restored Exchange 2010 Database?

thecricket used Ask the Experts™
I'm testing the Windows Server Backup Application for restoring the Exchange Server database.

Right now as a test that database has 1 mailbox in it.  I created emails, contacts, notes and calendar appointments for that mailbox.

Then I completed a full exchange backup using Windows Server Backup.

Next I went into that mailbox and deleted the calender items, emails, notes, etc.

This I assumed would be an effective test.  Then restored the backed up database before I deleted those items in the mailbox.

The server reported the restore was successful.  I log back into the mailbox and all the items I deleted are still in the deleted items folder.  Prior to the backup they were in the Inbox, Calendar, Notes, etc.

Is this normal?  Why wouldn't the deleted items be back to where they started before the backup?

Thank you!
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
I am not sure if you have to do this on Exchange 2010 before doing a restore but did you bring the Info Store offline before making the restore?
I should clear that up a little better.

Bring the Info Store offline before restoring the database?
Satya PathakLead Technical Consultant

Can you tell me which backup tools you are using right now?
C++ 11 Fundamentals

This course will introduce you to C++ 11 and teach you about syntax fundamentals.

That means that when you did the restore you did not replay all of the log files (lossless restore)


I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 built in Windows Server Backup (which supports Exchange 2010).
How do I replay all of the log files?
I don't think the information store has to be offline on 2010 like with older version can someone confirm this?  If not do I just down the database first for this?
the information store should be online during a restore
you need to select the appropriate option within you restore options and when the restore completes run the esetuil /cc
engital1097 - Thanks for the update, I have yet to restore an install/restore a Exchange 2010 server. I am glad this came up cause I am doing my first install next week.
if you want to just test a restore, you create a recovery database
New-MailboxDatabase -Recovery -Name RDB -Server Ex2010

i know backupexec 2010 requires some restore options for redirect to do this


If I create a recovery database what steps do I take to connect to the mailbox on the recovery database after the restore to confirm it's contents?

I'm ok with replaying the log files like you indicated above what would those steps require?

Thank you!
i would create a test mailbox, populate it, then perform the test restore
you could then use the restore-mailbox cmdlet to recover the mailbox


I'm not sure what is going on here but something is up.

I'm able to restore the database to E:\Restore

I then bring the database file into a clean shutdown state.  Then run the command to create a "Recovery Database". (see screen shot below).  This command gives an error that I don't understand.  Any idea what this means?  I'm able to mount the new "Recovery Database" but when I run Get-MailboxStatistics command on the new "Reovery Database" it returns nothing.  Which I assume means it's empty.  I go ahead and try the Restore Mailbox command and as you can see it cannot find my test Mailbox "Homer Simpson" that I want to restore.

Any idea what this error message is when created the "Recovery Database"?

(the section I blanked out in white is the name of one of our domain controllers)

Thank you!


Does this allow me to increase the point value?  I need help on the above issue still?
by the fact you were able to mount the database, the error must be because a database with the name "recovery database" already existed

can you try running
get-mailbox -database "recovery database" to see which mailboxes exist

it almost seems like a restore was done previously for another database


endital1097: Running the get-mailbox command returns nothing.  It's empty.  I'm going to delete the Recovery Database and start over again with my restore and see what happens.  I will post back.


The fix ended up within re-running the log files.  That combined with choosing the proper database recovery names and making sure everything was in it's place resolved this issue.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial