I'm leaving my current positiion in a few months and trying to get a balanced view on whether the company should employ internal IT or go for external IT support.
We can split the company in 2 in terms of IT. One section is a old Enterprise Resource Planning system, very customized to the specifics of the business - this side wont change and have a IT staff to support this. However, the other side to the Business is the networking, server config and enterprise
You'll probably want to know abit more about our company.
We are a manafacturing company in Sheffield, UK about 500,000 people live in the city so not small.
- We have one Windows 2008 SBS server with 40 clients
- Client machines are Windows XP desktops and mostly Windows 7 laptops but a few XP
- We have quite a old work force so the majority have not been brought up with computers
- However they are engineers and clever people so they are very technically minded and acustomed to problem solving.
- they use CAD software, MS office, outlook
like i said just looking for a bit balanced argument so i can present it to the directors