Have a client where a senior member of staff wants to change email address is use. I want to confirm the steps I will take to ensure no downtime.
He company uses Windows Server 2003 SBS and therefore running Exchange 2003.The user uses more then one PC, some running Windows XP Outlook 2007 and others running other Windows OS's such as Vista / Win 7
Currently user has:
He want to change to:
And he already has purchased surname.com
Currently emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org forward on to email@example.com (Via the company he purchased surname.com from) and this works fine as forwarding. However of course the exchange mailbox he has is still a firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox and any emails he sends will always come from this email address.
User now wants it so that email@example.com is his main email address and main mailbox address and I would like to confirm the steps required so that I ensure no downtime to items such as his mailboxes in Outlook and his iphone.
Can I confirm the order of events should be:
1) Firstly on Exchange I will navigate to the user in AD users and computers I will find the user and under properties tab I will the email firstname.lastname@example.org as a new SMTP email address.
2) Then I will update the MX record for "surname.com" to be the same as "companyname.com"
3) Once the MX records have updated and propagated, I will change the "Primary" email address for the use to be email@example.com.
4) For client applications such as Outlook. Simply closing and reopening should update the new settings without any need for change.
5) On the iphone I will need to update settings. I am not sure if I will need to delete the profile and recreate it OR I can just update the email address field and that will switch everything over?
My questions are
1) Have I go the order right above and I have I included everything to ensure no downtime.
2) My thinking is even while MX record is updating, no emails will be lost as if an email to firstname.lastname@example.org because if one is sent using old MX record rules then it will be forwarded as before and currently to email@example.com. Once the new MX records kick in they will direct email directly to exchange server where there is mailbox configured to acept email on the mailbox.
3) Point 5 above in the steps. I am particular concerned on what I will have to do with the iphone. The senior user will not any downtime and CERTAINLY no lost emails, so if anyone has done this or knows how the iphone handles the change please let me know.
Many thanks for any input on this subject.