We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Finalizing Migration From Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010

370 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-22
We are in the process of finishing our move from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

The network before Exchange 2010 was a Single Windows Server 2003 R2 enterprise machine acting as the Domain Controller and Exchange 2003 server. On this machine Blackberry Enterprise Server was installed as well.

We added a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise box and loaded Exchange 2010 on it. Currently all accept for 2 mailboxes have been moved from the 2003 box to the 2010 box. The last two are our BES users. We are discontinuing Blackberry after this move so we are curious on how to proceed.

Our thought is that we move the last two mailboxes. Uninstall BES, Reboot, Uninstall Exchange 2003, reboot and then are left with a plain old Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller. Any reason why this wouldn't work? or any other steps that must be completed?
Comment
Watch Question

Commented:
This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION

Author

Commented:
Thank you for the reply. Yes our BES server works right now. We will attempts your steps during our scheduled maintenance window tonight and award points or follow up with additional questions in the morning.

Author

Commented:
OK. So this morning we successfully decommissioned the BES and uninstalled it. We moved the final mailboxes to the exchange 2010 server. I followed the directions on how to remove the exchange 2003 and completed everything but actually uninstalling exchange, I just disabled the services just in case something didn't work correctly.

However after disabling the services and restarting both the domain controller (old exchange server) and exchange 2010 server the outlook clients cannot connect. If i open the connection status with ctrl-click i see that it is attempting to use the new exchange 2010 server as the global catalog (directory) instead of the domain controller. I re-enabled the exchange 2003 services to see if that would fix it however it did not. I found a workaround on Microsoft to do a regedit to tell manually direct it to the gc and then outlook worked for that user account. However do not want to have to roll that out manually to every account. In ECM it shows the domain controller and global catalog server it is supposed to use. OWA and ActiveSync clients work fine However local outlook clients as well as outlook remote clients are not working. I have checked the windows firewall and even created a inbound ip any any to any any rule to allow all inbound traffic and that did not help...

Author

Commented:
I felt that my last post should be a new question instead of continuing on as the original purpose to this question has been resolved..

I have reasked the question at
https://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/2003_Server/Q_26319495.html

and have awarded points and grade for the Original Question.

Thank you
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.