Project: Single Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 Domain Controller with Exchange 2003 SP2 installed on it.
Goal: Deploy Windows Server 2008 R2 Member Server and Exchange 2010
Progress: Exchange 2010 Operational and all mailboxes moved from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.
OK. So this morning we successfully decommissioned the BES and uninstalled it. We moved the final mailboxes to the exchange 2010 server. I followed the directions on how to remove the exchange 2003 and completed everything but actually uninstalling exchange, I just disabled the services just in case something didn't work correctly.
However after disabling the services and restarting both the domain controller (old exchange server) and exchange 2010 server the outlook clients cannot connect. If i open the connection status with ctrl-click i see that it is attempting to use the new exchange 2010 server as the global catalog (directory) instead of the domain controller. I re-enabled the exchange 2003 services to see if that would fix it however it did not. I found a workaround on Microsoft to do a regedit to tell manually direct it to the gc and then outlook worked for that user account. However do not want to have to roll that out manually to every account. In ECM it shows the domain controller and global catalog server it is supposed to use. OWA and ActiveSync clients work fine However local outlook clients as well as outlook remote clients are not working. I have checked the windows firewall and even created a inbound ip any any to any any rule to allow all inbound traffic and that did not help...