I have a windows 2003 server(non R2) that is the primary domain controller and has the FSMO roles. I also have a windows 2000 server that is the backup domain controller. I am wanting to replace the windows 2000 server with a new box running windows 2003 R2. I need to keep the server name the same. Here is the steps I believe I need to take and just want everyone to point out if I missed something that will cause me any problems.
1) Load new server with OS and all updates.
2) run dcpromo on old windows 2000 server and demote it
3) shut down windows 2000 server and then remove from AD
4) rename new server to correct name(old windows 2000 server name) and join domain
5) run dcpromo and promote, then make it a global catalog server
6) load dns and allow it to pull from other AD server