Recipient Policy will update certain accounts, but not all after moving mailboxes
Posted on 2010-08-12
Due to corruption in an Exchange 2003 databases, I have moved a bunch of mailboxes from multiple databases to new databases. After moving many of the mailboxes I end up having the mailboxes in the new databases,and they are connected, but they leave behind a mailbox in the old database with a red X next to it (disconnected). The number of items is usually 0, but could be 1 or 2 and the size, even if the number of items is 0 can be more than 0 Kb. I cannot delete the disconnected mailbox from the old database unless I delete the mailbox on the new database, delete the old mailbox from the old database. Then I can reconnect the mailbox on the new database and things look ok, except for one thing... If I look at the properties of the AD account many of them no longer show an SMTP account. I tried to apply the recipient policy, but it is not working for these accounts. There seems to be some disconnect, but not sure what it is and what happened.