Solved

Move from Office 2003 to 2007 - Excel seems to have old add-in that we can't remove

Posted on 2010-08-13
5
794 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
Hi.  We went from office 2003 to 2007 (only one PC so far to do testing).  Now when we open any excel sheets, even a new one, we get an error "Compile error: Can't find project or library" and the Excel VBA opens and is in an old add-in (ExcelToGM6x.xla) for software (Goldmine) we don't use any more.  

I don't know why this vb screen keeps coming up but it gets stuck on a line with UCASE highlighted.  It's very strange.  I tried running diagnostics on Office but that didn't help.  Also, I went into Add-ins to try to remove that add-in but it's not there.  

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alexis
0
Comment
Question by:alexisbr
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
5 Comments
 
LVL 15

Expert Comment

by:JBond2010
ID: 33430177
Most likely, the application has lost the reference to an object or type library resulting in the above error when using Barcode Macros & Native VBA Functions. The problem may be resolved as follows:

Open the database or application.
Open a module in Design view or press ALT+F11 to switch to the Visual Basic Editor.
On the Tools menu, click References.
Clear the check box for the type library or object library marked as "Missing:"
An alternative to removing the reference is to restore the referenced file to the path specified in the References dialog box. If the referenced file is in a new location, clear the "Missing:" reference and create a new reference to the file in its new location.

0
 

Author Comment

by:alexisbr
ID: 33430740
JBond2010, Thanks for your response.  I should have said that I had already checked References before I created this post.  There were no lines marked as Missing. Also, this is an old add-in and we don't need it any more.  I'm not sure why it is giving a problem in Excel 2007 when this didn't happen in Excel 2003.  

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Alexis
0
 

Author Comment

by:alexisbr
ID: 33432072
I took a screenshot of the error I get when opening any Excel sheet in 2007 and have attached it.  I don't understand why this add-in keeps running even though it's not being used and the add-in has nothing to do with any of the sheets I am opening.  I checked the references again and a Goldmine reference was checked.  There were no missing references.  I unchecked the Goldmine reference but that didn't work - I got an error about the DLL not being present.  We got a new server last week. Is it possible that Excel 2007 somehow "remembers" the old add-in from Excel 2003 but now the add-in no longer exists on the server so it can't find it but also can't remove it?  Does this make any sense?  I''m also attaching a screenshot of the References screen.

Alexis
excel-2007-error.png
references.png
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
alexisbr earned 0 total points
ID: 33437645
I figured out the problem.  I just had to re-register the DLL behind the reference.  A new server was installed last week and was not set up using the same server name.  Apparently Office 2007 has a problem with finding the DLL associated with the Goldmine reference although Office 2003 is still okay with it.  

I went to Start/Run (this is in XP Professional) and registered the DLL using the following line:
\\Newserver\shared\goldmine\gmw6.exe /regserver

I've also attached an image showing what I did.  I will accept my own answer in case someone else has this same problem in the future.

Alexis
reregister-GM.jpg
0
 

Author Comment

by:alexisbr
ID: 33486314
I discovered that this problem had nothing to do with Office 2003 or 2007.  The problem in Excel was caused by the new server being named differently from the old server so the registered exe file could not be found.  Our user had this problem in Office 2003 and 2007.   Once I registered the exe file in the location on the new server using the new server name, it all worked fine.  I wanted to clarify this for future readers of this post.
0

Featured Post

PeopleSoft Has Never Been Easier

PeopleSoft Adoption Made Smooth & Simple!

On-The-Job Training Is made Intuitive & Easy With WalkMe's On-Screen Guidance Tool.  Claim Your Free WalkMe Account Now

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Excel + CountIfs + two colums 5 40
Custom fill series 12 41
3,000 rows of comma separated values 14 33
VBA Lookup Problem 2 15
When you see single cell contains number and text, and you have to get any date out of it seems like cracking our heads.
Access developers frequently have requirements to interact with Excel (import from or output to) in their applications.  You might be able to accomplish this with the TransferSpreadsheet and OutputTo methods, but in this series of articles I will di…
Excel styles will make formatting consistent and let you apply and change formatting faster. In this tutorial, you'll learn how to use Excel's built-in styles, how to modify styles, and how to create your own. You'll also learn how to use your custo…
Finds all prime numbers in a range requested and places them in a public primes() array. I've demostrated a template size of 30 (2 * 3 * 5) but larger templates can be built such 210  (2 * 3 * 5 * 7) or 2310  (2 * 3 * 5 * 7 * 11). The larger templa…

710 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question