Can't send outgoing messages in Outlook (2007 or 2010) with hyperlinks or headers in message
Posted on 2010-08-16
Platforms: Windows XP, Windows 7
Mail program: Outlook 2007, 2010
ISP hosting: COVAD (DSL)
Anti-Virus: PC Doctor and Zone Alarm
Everyone using addresses with our personalized domain (intensivenutrition.com, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, etc. etc.) cannot send outgoing email with hyperlink or headers in message text.
In order to successfully send an email, forwarded/replies and newly created messages have to have the "header" text removed as well as any active links removed e.g. email addresses, page links, etc. etc. If these items are not removed, an immediate error message is received from the "System Administrator" (which happens to be me, ha!) which reads
Text: The following recipients cannot be reached. 'firstname.lastname@example.org' on 8/16/2010 12:01 PM
550 5.7.1 o7GJ0qPV027794 This message does not comply with required standards.
As this is a 5.7.1 message, this is not a permanent error but something to do with filtering or similar problem I think.
These are the steps I have taken thus far which have yielded NOTHING:
1. Deleted and recreated all email accounts (rebooted, etc. etc.)
2. Changed SMTP settings per COVAD instruction. This seems to alleviated some issues with outgoing but still cannot send replies/forwards with header info, etc.
3. Turned off anti-virus
4. Rolled back Windows updates. (One of my guesses is that the problem lies with Microsoft updates and with Outlook.)
5. Reinstalled Windows updates
6. Installed NEW Outlook 2010 onto new machine. Same problem (would eliminate virus as culprit)
7. Spent several hours on phone with COVAD tech support. Confirmed that our domain is not on any blacklists. They also indicated that they don't filter email in the manner in which I described. (it does not appear that the emails are even reaching them so this I believe)
I am able to access my mail using the webmail program offered by COVAD. I am also able to successfully send emails using my husband's MAC and my original email pop3 settings (they don't have to be modified to successfully send email). I installed my email settings on my home computer (which runs Winxp and outlook) and have the same problem so the problem probably isn't viral.
So, my conclusion is that OUTLOOK/Microsoft is the culprit as the outgoing emails don't appear to even reach the server....some kind of filter is bouncing them back.
Another bit of information which may or may not be helpful...
We have received, since this problem began last week, an inordinate amount of spoofing and spam emails.
Help would be very much appreciated. Have no idea how to fix this and Microsoft forums have yielded nothing. My next step is to call them and pay $$$ to have this corrected.
Thanks very much.