I recently did a windows update which included an upgrade from IE 7 to IE 8. Since then, I've been unable to access secure websites with IE, Chrome, or Safari.. but have no problems with Firefox. Everything seems to be working OK on my computer. HTTP is fine, but not HTTPS. I've done everything I can think of, including:
1) Trying to do a system restore to a point before the update. Unable to do this. I keep getting a message, "Cannot restore to this point. No changes have been made to your computer."
2) Reinstalling and resetting IE8 (including all personal settings)
3) Made sure that SSL 2.0 and 3.0 are checked in internet security settings. I also turned off Windows Firewall. I know it's not a router firewall issue as I have other computers on the same network that have no problems getting to https via IE.
4) I usually use ESET NOD32 for antivirus, but just to be sure, I downloaded Kapersky and did a deep scan for viruses and root kit problems. Scan came up clean, so now I have 2 virus programs that don't see anything amiss.
5) Tried to do a sfc /scannow (can't complete this because it keeps asking me for an install CD and won't recognize the recovery files on the partition of my HP hard drive.. and I have no physical install disk).
6) Applied Windows Fix-it 50191
Currently on Windows XP Media Center 2005, SP3. I use some banking and financial programs that are dependent on IE, otherwise I could do what I needed with Firefox. Thanks for any help!