XSL version 1.0, can't change to 2.0 at the moment because of Visual Studio I believe.
Converting html code from an xml document with a few minor edits to straight html output.
There are many places in the source file where there are series of  s, I've tried calling normalize-space on the text as it's being processed but this doesn't appear to make a blind bit of difference.
The source xml file is ANSI.
I've tried the xsl file's own encoding and the output encoding as windows-1252 but it doesn't help.
I've also got the encoding for the XmlTextWriter for the transform output set to ASCIIEncoding in the C# code.