Solved

SCCM 2007 R2 collection not updating

Posted on 2010-08-19
3
2,296 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-21
Ok I have looked through most of these threads and found similiar problems to mine but still no solution.  Here is the scenario, I created a collection to find all clients that do not have the latest version of Adobe Reader which is 9.3.3.  I have tried different queries which I have included using the query builder or modifying the query directly when I first created the collections all the computers showed up fine, I then pushed a package to this collection which updated them all to 9.3.3.  I have verified that the clients have the latest version both by accessing the client directly and launching Adobe ->Help -> About, as well as through the SCCM resource explorer.  Also in add remove programs it shows as "Adobe eader 9.3.3".  In addition to that I have shceduled the clients hardware and client inventory agent to update every hour just to see if anything would change.  I also scheduled the collection to update every hour as well.  For some reasons once the client workstations recieve the Adobe update they are not being removed from the collection.  Here are the various queries I've tried

select *  from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS on SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName not like "%Adobe Reader 9.3.3%"

select *  from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS on SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName != "Adobe Reader 9.3.3"

select *  from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS on SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName like "%Adobe Reader%" and SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.Version != "9.3.3"

When I first created the collection 72 computers were added, once I pushed the Adobe update waited an entire day and still 72 computer in this collection even though I know for a fact all but 10 got the update.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I have looked everywhere but cant figure what is worng with our configuration that doesnt allow the collectiosn to update.  I have no errors or warnings in my SCCm status.




select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS on SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName like "%Adobe Reader%" and SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.Version != "9.3.3"

Open in new window

SMS1.jpg
0
Comment
Question by:cgitst
3 Comments
 
LVL 3

Expert Comment

by:mankster
ID: 33482534
Hi,
I Think i know what is the issue you are seeing. Queries with 'Not like' will not give you the correct results.
You need a query of the machines which have the software and then run a 'not in' statement against that.
To elaborate here are some links:
http://www.myitforum.com/articles/1/view.asp?id=2559
http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/dhite/archive/2007/04/08/sub-select-sql-server-query-sample.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.
0
 
LVL 6

Accepted Solution

by:
Exemplar earned 500 total points
ID: 33487769
Hello cqitst!

Yeah, please try to the following:

The new collection should be for identifying systems that DO NOT have Adobe 9.3.3.  Create a Collection with the following WQL query.  (Note:  If the Collection rule that identifies all systems with Adobe 9.3.3 is using Collection Limiting please use the same Collection Limiting on the new Collection.)

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where ResourceId not in (select ResourceID from SMS_CM_RES_COLL_????????)

Write down the Collection ID of the Collection that identifies systems WITH Adobe 9.3.3.  Insert the Collection ID data where the ????????.  Use this WQL query for the Collection that identifies systems WITHOUT Adobe 9.3.3.

Essentially what this new query does is show what systems are not in the Collection WITH Adobe 9.3.3.  I hope this makes sense.  I think this method will give you a fairly accurate account of the systems you are attempting to identify that are in need of Adobe 9.3.3

/cheers
0
 

Author Comment

by:cgitst
ID: 33504961
Thanks for the help, i followed the information in the links provided by mankster and my collection is now updating correctly
0

Featured Post

NAS Cloud Backup Strategies

This article explains backup scenarios when using network storage. We review the so-called “3-2-1 strategy” and summarize the methods you can use to send NAS data to the cloud

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Problem Description: Actually I found the below issue with some customers after migration from SMS 2003 to SCCM 2007 and epically if they change site code, some clients may appear in the console with old site code, plus old sites still appearing …
The question has been asked on multiple occasions as to how best to do printing in a remote desktop or terminal services environment.   It seems that this particular question has plagued several people and most especially as Terminal Services, as…

809 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question