Some users on SBS 2003 network experiencing slow network file access
Posted on 2010-08-19
On one of our client networks, several users (but not all) are experiencing very slow access to files stored on the SBS 2003 server. These are mostly Lotus 1-2-3 files which are very small in size (most around 65k). Some users can open them instantly while others take 20-30 seconds to open each document.
Here are the troubleshooting steps we have taken so far:
- I have logged into two of the workstations in question as the network administrator and files open quickly.
- I have logged into two of the workstations as other domain users and files open quickly.
- I have replaced the old 10/100 network switch with a 10/100/1000 network switch, but there is no difference in opening these files.
- I have copied some of the files that are slow to open onto one workstation and opened from there. They take a long time to open locally. If I disable the NIC, then the local files open quickly. This troubleshooting step really confuses me.
- I have started up one of the computers using MSCONFIG shutting off all non-Microsoft services and all startup items. Logging in as the regular user the files still open very slowly.
Could it be a corrupt user profile? If so, how could 4 out of 14 users have corrupt profiles all of a sudden? Not sure what else to try. Most of the people on the network are not having trouble, but since this seems so random, I'm wondering if other people are going to start experiencing the same issue.