Exchange 2007 using Forefront TMG for autodiscovery fails when clients are using a separate web proxy

I'm setting up Exchange 2007 using Forefront TMG for client traffic including autodiscovery.  All of our IE clients are set to use a linux based proxy.  Using the Test E-mail autoconfiguration tool in Outlook fails if IE is set to the proxy, but works perfectly if the proxy is left blank.  I've put exceptions into IE when the proxy is set and it still fails.  I'm testing a rule in TMG to allow anything from the proxy, but it doesn't seem to help.  Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Thanks!
mbrombAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
 
Stephen CroftConnect With a Mentor Technical ArchitectCommented:
are you definitely adding the correct exceptions?

This sure looks like a case of "proxy routing internal requests externally" - seen it so many times :)

0
 
mbrombAuthor Commented:
The resolution is to add the FQDNs to the IE exceptions.  I tried all kinds of combos before getting it right.  Hopefully we can adjust the proxy server proxy.pac to account for them instead of having to push the exceptions out vioa GP.  The proxy.pac seems to include the servers, but I think it may not be accounting for HTTPS.
0
 
Stephen CroftTechnical ArchitectCommented:
usually the case - you will need FQDN and netbios names of the servers for autodiscover to work correctly :)
0
 
mbrombAuthor Commented:
The IE Exceptions box says "...beginning with:" .  That's misleading because just adding the netbios name did no good, but I'll add it for good measure.  Thanks!  
0
 
mbrombAuthor Commented:
This comment got me on the right track
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.