Oracle connection dropping and loss of connection to the network
Posted on 2010-08-20
Ever since Wednesday June 9th, when a guy in our office tries to access large amounts of data from his pc to an external Oracle database via VPN between our corporate server and their corporate server
- the original fetch works fine - so he sees the first rows of data. If he enters ctrl-end to fetch all of the data - his computer gets tied up -
eventually dies and he loses all connection to the network - groupwise, lan, etc. The only way to recover from this is to power it off and restart.
He has been doing this for more than 10 years and nobody seems to remember a change that happened in early June.
He did at one point get the following error messages from Oracle
ORA-03135, connection lost contact
ORA-01041, internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist.
I do suspect that his connection is being dropped between the original fetch and the followup fetch.
I have done the following and discovered:
- it only happens when he access the DSS database via VPN - all local database fetches work fine.
- it doesn't pertain to his id - his id works from my pc and my id doesn't work from his pc.
- it is not software related - it behaves the same with SQLdeveloper, SAS, Cognos, etc.
- it is not ODBC related - it behaves the same when using the Oracle Native Driver.
- it is not related to the version of the Oracle client he is using - I tested it out with two versions that we have here.
- I had his pc rebuilt and it still behaves the same.
- I moved his pc to my desk - and it still behaves the same.
- He tested it out on other pcs in the office and only one behaves the same.
- We traced the queries - one good and one failed and from the fireall all is the same for both, same service ports and same rules.
- Our ips are on the same subnet.
Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I don't know what else to try.