Windows Media Player 11 won't burn more than one track to a disc from an album.
Posted on 2010-08-22
I have multiple albums stored on my pc (Dell Inspiron 8600/Windows XP). Occasionally I burn copies of them to a blank CD-R or CD-RW to keep elsewhere. Usually just drag the ablum to the burn list, pop in a blank, and click Start Burn. Now all of a sudden, after years of no issues, I have this problem with the CD-Rs:
After the tracks on the album go through their usual "preparation" process, the first track gets burned, then Media Player says it is finalizing disc, then a message pops up saying an error was encountered during the burn with no error number referenced at all. None of the remaining tracks past the first one are even attempted!, even though they are on the burn list as usual! ??? I'm confused. I've tried the following with no change in result:
1) have closed all other programs during the burn.
2) tried various blank discs to make sure the disc isn't at fault
3) tried both CD-Rs and CD-RWs, CD-Rs are the only one having trouble right now but never in the past!, I've burned have a huge box of CD-Rs over the past year, same albums, same Media Player, same computer, now all of a sudden they don't work. CD-RW does. Harumph.
4) have closed Windows Media Player and re-opened
5) have shut down entire computer and re-started/re-opened
6) have tried burning different albums, they all do the same thing, first track only then error
I don't use Windows Media for too many other functions but the basic Ripping and Playing functions seem just fine.
???I'm at a loss. Can anyone help? I play these copies in the background of my massage therapy practice so having them is important to my business.....I use the copies because they get oiled and scratched easily in that handling environment so I can't rely on only an original of my favorite massage albums. I'd appreciate any wisdom.