Why does VNC connect to the wrong computer on my network?
Posted on 2010-08-24
When trying to connect to a computer on my network using TightVNC, UltraVNC or any other VNC I have always been able to connect using the computer name rather than by IP address. Over time, I have been having issues where trying to connecty to some computers by computer name it will connect to a different computer on my network that is named something else. If I try to connect to the same computer using the IP address, it will connect to the right computer.
Has anyone experienced the same issue or know why connection by computer name is taking me to a the wrong computers?
1st Computer Name / IP: danielsj 172.16.200.15
2nd Computer Name / IP: esbinterview 172.16.206.88
trying to connect to "danielsj" actually connects me to "esbinterview"
Things I have tried:
1. Uninstalled / Re-install VNC software
2. Flushed DNS on affected computers
3. Reset TCP/IP on affected computers using: netsh int ip reset log.txt
4. Removed / Re added danielsj from the domain and active directory computers
5. Physically removed the computer danielsj from the network and loaded a different computer named as danielsj (danielsj still takes me to esbinterview)