IBM X61 laptop black screen and wont start XP OS
Posted on 2010-08-24
My client has a IBM X61 Laptop taht bought a year ago.
She did not use the laptop for the last 4 month.
Recently when she tried to use this laptop, it could not start and loading the XP OS.
I have done some basic troubleshooting and googling.
Below is what I found.
1. The hard disk works fine.
I took out the hard dive and put in a external HDD enclosure. I connected it with my PC and it works fine.
2. Black screen when boot from HDD or CD
It can not display anything and it just black screen when I try to boot from XP CD or BartPE.
3. The screen is totally black, you can not see anything even take a very close look.
4. I tried connect the laptop with VGA cable to a LCD screen. It display nothing and shows no signal.
5. During the normal booting it does not display anything and totally black, the screen acts like never have power on. But the hard disc and motherboard Fan is working. Power light and HDD light flash. I can hear them running.
6. The battery charging light flashing as yellow color. I have tried took the battery out and boot up by AC only. But still the same result.
I think this laptop's graphic card is broken. Or maybe the data link between LCD display and motherboad is broken. But i dont know how to test it for sure.
Should I sent it back to IBM for check? Does IBM charge for the checking and replacing the faulty unit if this laptop still under warranty?
Please let me know if you have any idea what is wrong of this laptop. What is the best way to do further investigation.
I can support the S/N for the machine if needed.