Installed new 3rd party cert Exchange 2010 outlook web App and email not working after reboot
Posted on 2010-08-25
I am running Exchange 2010 rollup 4 on Server 2008sp2
I have installed a new 3rd party SSL cert and my users were getting the message that the names did not match. So I did this to fix:
Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity russellmail -AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri https://mail.domain.net/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity “russellmail\EWS (Default Web Site)” -InternalUrl https://mail.domain.net/ews/exchange.asmx
Set-OABVirtualDirectory -Identity “russellmail\oab (Default Web Site)” -InternalUrl https://mail.domain.net/oab
Email was working just fine as well as OWA.
We also changed ISP's, so my IP addresses changed and I made changes to DNS. After propigation all worked just fine. It is when I rebooted the server that every thing stopped working. OWA and incomming and outgoing email.
To complicate matters further, we use Microsoft forefront online protection and mail is bouncing back from their servers. (The following organization rejected your message: TX2EHSMHS044.bigfish.com; TX2EHSMHS044.bigfish.com #550 5.4.1 Relay Access Denied ##) I have a ticket open with them and they said they would get back to me when they found something.
I am not sure the OWA not working (Times out) is related to our incomming and outgoing mail not working.
I can give more info if needed.