OK So we are setting up a new environment for a Client and we want to make the best design plan possible.
Site 1 (left): Production environment (2 DC )
AD1: DHCP, DNS, CG & Holds all 5 FSMO Roles
Site 2 (right): DR Site (1 DC)
Best design plan for DHCP,DNS,CG,FSMO, domain design "i.e child domain"
After hours of reading I reached a conclusion that we don't really need to make any changes to FSMO Roles & we don't need to have a child domain on the DR site.
- Both sites "Production and DR" can be on the same domain in one single forest.
- First domain controller will be hosting all Five FSMO roles and there is no need to transfer or or seize it.
If AD one goes offline and no hope of getting it back online:
- seize FSMO roles to AD2
If the hole production site goes offline and there is no hope of getting it back online:
- seize FSMO roles to DR AD
- Split the DHCP pool between 3 servers
- Make DNS available on 1st DC and DR DC
My question is: what do you think about this setup ?