I'm sorry - I know this gets asked a million times a week, but I cannot find an answer.
I cannot print to my local printer while connected to a Windows 2008 R2 Server.
I try to print, say, a PDF on the server, while connected to it through Remote Desktop Connection. I'm trying to print to my local Brother HL-1435. (My local o/s is Windows XP Home)
Here's how I set it up:
1. On the server, I ran Print Management, Add Driver, and added the driver for the HL-1435. I see an icon in the printers folder for the HL-1435.
2. If I look at the printer properties for that driver on the server, it says it calls it "Brother HL-1435 Series (Redirected-1)". It says the port is: TS093, and it appears to be connected to my computer, as my computer name is listed in the description as "Dave-PC: PRN5"
3. If I look at the queue while printing a test page to that printer, I see the test page in the queue for about a second, then disappear without error. Nothing is printed locally however.
4. I turned off my local firewall in XP and the local router just to test. No difference.
5. Another user installed a print driver for their printer. Same thing. No errors, but no prints.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?