Delete domain from server and recreate domain
Posted on 2010-08-26
I have the following infrastructure:
- One single Windows Server 2008 R2 configured as a domain controller for example.local
- Three workstations, Windows 7 Pro, members of example.local
- Three user accounts in example.local
I somehow managed to completely mess up DNS and DNS integration into AD (Active Directory / AD DS). Server Manager's 'Best Practice Analyzer' lists dozens of cryptic errors in AD and DNS. Domain users (roaming profiles) are no longer able to login to the domain, etc.
Correcting all these errors would take ages, so I guess it would be more efficient to totally remove the domain example.local and the DNS role from the server and rebuild the domain from scratch. I don't mind losing the user accounts or anything else in example.com (FSMO etc.) All can be deleted and rebuilt.
My goal would be to recreate a domain with the same name 'example.local' afterwards.
My basic plan is:
1. take the workstations out of the domain example.com => members of 'workgroup'
2. delete the locally stored parts of the roaming user profiles on the workstations (Windows 7 Pro)
3. remove the domain from the server
4. create a new domain (with the same name example.com) on the server
5. create new computer and user accounts on the new example.com domain
6. join the workstations to the domain
a) Is my basic plan OK?
b) I ask you for advice on how to do steps 2 and 3 correctly to reach my goal. Which processes do I have to follow?
Thanks for considering my problem.