Some folks want to understand how to make "auto" printer installs show up on network computers.
Others want to understand how to prevent "auto" printer installs from showing up on network computers.
The answers seem to jump around and to include "workarounds".
I want to understand
- how it happens and
- how to prevent it and, in doing so, perhaps
- how to assure it happens.
My notion at the moment is that it only happens for printers that are shared but I've not seen that mentioned very often in the Q&As that are around.
In general I find it confusing and annoying as people come to rely on something like the following:
- There is a network printer PRINTER; i.e. connected to the network directly.
- It is installed on alll computers
- On computer "Joe", someone marks PRINTER as "Shared".
- Then, the shared printer shows up as "Auto \\Joe PRINTER" ..... something like that.. on some or all of the other computers.
Next, somebody marks one of these Auto printers as their computer's default.
Next, the sharing computer is turned off or taken out of service altogether.
Now, the default printer is missing for that unfortunate one ......
As I mentioned above, I'm not 100% sure that its sharing that causes this but that's my casual observation at this point.