Can not ping WIndows 2003 SBS from workstation!!!! Help!
Posted on 2010-08-26
I have a client that is running Win SBS 2003. The problem started with their Exchange email not working, network access OK. Restarted Exchange store and rebooted. Noticed that the C: drive was full and freed up space. Now email still does not work and the server can ping (and access shares) the workstations by IP and name, but WS can't ping the server by IP or name.
Note: we can not get the Backup Exec backup devices service to start. Not sure if that would matter. I don't see how. Clients are Windows 7 Pro .
To add insult to injury, the DSL modem crapped out while troubleshooting!
Here are the troubleshooting steps we have taken so far:
1. hooked a 5 port switch bypassing current switch from to server and a workstation - same results
2. hard coded IP address on WS
3. Disabled AV (and services) on server
4. Firewall is off
5. server can ping itself including 127.0.0.1
6. created and deleted files on WS shares
7. Checked DNS logs of server, nothing stood out