I've been through the experts-exchange db but didn't really find an answer.... So, here it goes:
My windows 7 machine keeps randomly freezing, mouse keeps working.. ie if I right click on a drive, it comes up with the annoying "not responding" message - leave it a few seconds and then it comes back with my right click menu. Youtube keeps pausing, internet navigation is almost impossible. I have noticed that if I write files on the OS hdd then it's worst...
1. when I 'kill' the 'explorer.exe' everything is back to "normal"
2. if I change OS and login to Ubuntu everything is perfect! (apart from my Raid5 not being recognized)
I have a new psu (950w) a quad-core 3,6 cpu, zalman lq1000 water cooling case, 4x640GB Raid5 hdds (Data, user folder), 1x128GB SS HDD (OS installed), 1x1,5TB Seagete HDD (backup of Raid5), eVGA 680i SLI mobo, nvidia graphics and 2 GB Ram (used to be 4...)
I have tried almost everything, even leaving just the OS hdd connected and removing EVERYTHING else but the problem is still there...
So my question is:
1. how do I test if it is my RAM (without purchasing new)
2. how do I test if it is the CPU (again without purchasing new)
3. how do I figure out if it is a Software problem (trying to avoid format)
4. could it be the solid state hdd?
Help, IT's DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!!