Solved

Why would Internet Explorer 8 not allow Google, Bing and Yahoo search web pages to open?

Posted on 2010-08-27
4
800 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-10
When try to access Google, Bing and Yahoo search website. I get web page stating  that it could not find the website. It is not the website because I have computer sitting right next to it that can access Google with no problem and the other sites as well.
Any other site in favorites or by typing in the address bar open with no problem.
I have tried antivirus scans and anti-spyware scans and the computer is free of viruses and malware.
I have check IE security settings, cleared all cookies, temporary Internet files and browsing history.
I flushed the DNS cache also.
This is a Windows XP Pro with SP3 computer.
Does any one have any ideas?
Thanks
0
Comment
Question by:FOSBELIT
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
4 Comments
 
LVL 17

Expert Comment

by:houssam_ballout
ID: 33545641
try to reset IE settings
0
 
LVL 4

Accepted Solution

by:
Prabhaheren earned 500 total points
ID: 33545744
could you also check if you can reach those websites with FireFox or any other browser, so we can rule out if it is really the Internet Explorer.

1. Check from the Internet Options-)Security-)Restricted Sites is there any sites mentioned.
2. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open the "hosts" file with notepad to see if the above search sites are looped to some IP address.
3. If you are running thru any proxy or vpn or security softwares like Kaspersky, ESet..,etc make sure you have these sites white listed
0
 

Expert Comment

by:skitrees
ID: 33546250
Go to a command prompt.
Type:  ping yaho.com
Does it reply? - if it DOES, then Prabhareren's suggestions will fix it.  Have you had a virus lately?
If it does NOT reply, then try the following command from a command prompt:  ipconfig /dnsflush
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:FOSBELIT
ID: 33546512
The one and only thing I had not checked was the "hosts" file. There was a long string of hosts names (Google, Yahoo and others) and IP addresses. I deleted the string and saved the file.
I have some other issues from the removal of Trojans and malware but I know how to clean those up.
Just to mention that number 1 and 3 of the answer did not apply to the problem.
0

Featured Post

On Demand Webinar: Networking for the Cloud Era

Ready to improve network connectivity? Watch this webinar to learn how SD-WANs and a one-click instant connect tool can boost provisions, deployment, and management of your cloud connection.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Determining the an SCCM package name from the Package ID
A small collection of useful tips and tricks for Windows 10 users that I decided to write as a result of recent questions that were asked and answered at Experts Exchange. Two short video tutorials included. Enjoy..
This Micro Tutorial will give you a basic overview of Windows DVD Burner through its features and interface. This will be demonstrated using Windows 7 operating system.
If you’ve ever visited a web page and noticed a cool font that you really liked the look of, but couldn’t figure out which font it was so that you could use it for your own work, then this video is for you! In this Micro Tutorial, you'll learn yo…

724 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question