exchange 2003 cant sync phones after emergency restore
Posted on 2010-08-28
We had a drive go out in our exchange 2003 server and had to restore it from a backup. We used backup exec to restore it to a new machine. Everything seems to work exctly as it did before with one exception. The phones do not receive push updates from exchange unless there computers are on and outlook is open.
What I did to verify this:
1) had a user turn off her machine.
2) had another user send her a couple test messages.
3) waited 30 minutes to verify that the mail was not coming to the phone
4) jumped in my car and drove about two miles down the road to make sure that I was not connected to anything like bluetooth that would other wise sync the phone.
5) verified that the phone was connected to the carriers network (AT&T 3G network) by browsing.
6) called back to the office while I was still two miles down the road and had the owner of the phone startup the machine, but not turn on outlook. I waited 10 minutes to verify that no messages were coming through
7)had the user startup outlook. With in 30 seconds of the user starting up outlook the messages started appearing on the phone.
8) drove back to the office scratching my head.
I have verified this with both smartphones (windows mobile 6.1) and iphones. The blackberries that simply use pop3 seem to work just fine. These users need there calendar, tasks, etc so I cant just set them up on pop3. Right now, as a work around, I just have them leaving there computers on and locking there desktops when they leave, but this is not a viable long term solution.
exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 server
outlook 2003 and 2007
windows mobile 6.1
Thank you for your help