I am about to transition a 2003 exchange organisation to Exchange 2010 with a period of coexistence and would like to ensure I have the steps right. Here is a high level step by step overview I have planned (assume I know how to perform each step).
Have I missed a step or is there anything anyone would like to add.
Small Company approx 100 mailboxes so am installing CAS Hub and Mailbox onto 1 server (no edge transport yet) Company uses company.local for internal and company.com for external
Steps (High Level)
1. Provision 64bit VM (assume installed all pre reqs and updates) and add to AD
2. Prepare AD for exchange 2010 with coexistence (legacypermissions)
3. Install Exchange 2010 (3 roles as above)
4. Replicate Public Folders to Exchange 2010 Box
5. Obtain SAN Certificate with following
6. Install certificate to exchange 2010 box
7. Assign IIS Service to new certificate
8. Export and import certificate to 2003 box
9. Configure Web Services
a. Offline Address Book Generation
b. Configure OWA for use with Exchange 2003
c. Configure/ check settings on Virtual Directories
d. Configure Active Sync Authentication
10. Move databases from default to new locations as per my storage plan
11. Move mailboxes from 2003 to 2010
12. Create Send connector and configure
13. Delete SMTP Connector from Exchange 2003 (uses smarthost to add disclaimer)
14. Create receive connector and configure
15. Perform address list conversion for recipient policies
Besides backup, any IT division should have a disaster recovery plan. You will find a few tips below relating to the development of such a plan and to what issues one should pay special attention in the course of backup planning.
A list of top three free exchange EDB viewers that helps the user to extract a mailbox from an unmounted .edb file and get a clear preview of all emails & other items with just a single click on mailboxes.
This video shows how to quickly and easily add an email signature for all users on Exchange 2016. The resulting signature is applied on a server level by Exchange Online.
The email signature template has been downloaded from: