Host: server 2003 R2 64-bit sp2
guest: sbs 2003
Guest was converted with vmware converter 4.0.1-161434 (several times).
I get an error on the network adapter driver on conversion (prior to installing vmware tools). I found a driver download (I can't find the link I used - it was a blog entry with the same symptom). The driver seems to work.
I can configure an IP and reboot the sbs2003 guest without issues. Once I install vmware tools, the next boot, i get all kinds of issues - not all of them every time, but I've run through this process at least 7 times and have not had success.
Possible issues I have seen: (C-A-D = Ctl-Alt-Del)
- super long boot time, pause at "applying personal settings" after C-A-D.
- get to desktop, then every application gives an "application failed to initialize 0xc0000142"
- error loading profile (2 different user accounts - 2 separate conversions)
- no desktop after C-A-D, cpu at 100%
Things I've tried:
- I've run the converter several time,
- tried taking a snapshot right after conversion -
- tried different orders of adding a NIC,
- not converting the phys nic,
- removing serial/usb ports,
- installing vmware tools before adding a nic, etc....
I've only gotten it to work twice - the second just to make sure the first wasn't a fluke. Of course, when I went to run it "live", it failed again and hasn't worked since - 2 more tries.