[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 999
  • Last Modified:

Only administrator can access OWA in SBS2003 despite others being mobile users too

I completed the setup of a SBS2003 server that was originally installed by a third party, and have an issue with users trying to log into Outlook Web Access. The administrator account can log in fine, but when trying any other user in the domain, OWA throws the 'incorrect username or password' message. I have tried logging in as domain\username, username@domain.local, all the appropriate users are members of the Mobile Users group, and I have tried adding another user with full administrator credentials. No luck whatsoever.

Exchange was patched to SP2; I reinstalled Exchange then re-applied SP2. I also reinstalled IIS.

I've set up maybe 40 or 50 SBS machines but haven't come across this. Is this a problem any of you have encountered? It sounds like some sort of hotfix or registry tweak may be required?
0
smickell
Asked:
smickell
1 Solution
 
sunnyc7Commented:
reinstalled IIS ?
>> not a good idea.

Are all other services working ok ?
> OOF (out of office)
> autodiscover internal + external
> Free/Busy Calendar
> RPC/HTTPS

anyway lets get the stats

get-owavirtualdirectory | fl

Please post back the result
0
 
Paul TozerCommented:
You can rebuild owa by

.  Download and install the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit Tools. To obtain the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit Tools, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56FC92EE-A71A-4C73-B628-ADE 629C89499&displaylang=en

If you do not want to install all the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit Tools, click the Custom installation option to install only Metabase Explorer 1.6.
b.  Start IIS Manager.
c.  Back up the metabase. To do this, right-click Default Web Site, click All Tasks, and then click Save Configuration to a File. Type a filename for the file and click OK.
d.  Expand Default Web Site, and then delete the following virtual directories: • Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
• OMA
• Exadmin
• Exchange
• Public
• ExchWeb
 
e.  Start Metabase Explorer. To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to IIS Resources, point to Metabase Explorer, and then click Metabase Explorer.
f.  Expand the LM key, right-click the DS2MB key, and then click Delete.  
g.  Close Metabase Explorer.  
h.  Restart the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service to re-create the virtual directories in IIS.

Note If the virtual directories are not re-created after 15 minutes, restart the server.
i.  In IIS Manager, expand Default Web Site, right-click Exchweb, and then click Properties.
j.  Click the Directory Security tab, and then click Edit under Authentication and access control.
k.  Verify that only the Enable anonymous access check box is selected.
l.  Right-click Default Web Site, and then click Stop.
m.  Right-click Default Web Site, and then click Start.
0
 
sunnyc7Commented:
mpcmanaged > that works for Exchange 2003 / on SBS 2003
Not for Exchange 2007 / on SBS 2007

Recreating OWA virtual directories in 2007
Check this
http://exchangeshare.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/how-to-recreate-owa-virtual-directory-exchange-2007/
0
 
AlexTechCommented:
hi

Check the security settings on 'DAVEX.DLL'   in C:\program files\exchsrvr\bin (or whatever drive in  which exchange is installed)

Make a note of existing security settings in case you have to revert

Match the security  settings  by list mentioned below , if you find anything  missing  please add as mentioned. These are the  security settings by default therefore please use these   and remove anything else it:


ALL THE PERMISSIONS MENTIONED BELOW ARE FOR ALLOW
Administrators     ----> Full Control
Authenticated Users   ----> Read & Execute, Read
Server Operators -----> Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write.
System ----> Full control
Restart MSExchangeSA service

Test and post back results
0
 
smickellAuthor Commented:
Sorry for the delay in replaying as I was away for a couple of weeks - in summary, I took a a look down the replies and tried adaroc's first because it looked the simplest to achieve - and it worked straight away!
I don't know how you figured out that DAVEX.DLL was at the heart of this issue, and I don't know why this would happen in (what I was told was) a standard SBS installation, but anyhow - many thanks for everyone taking the time to reply.
0

Featured Post

Making Bulk Changes to Active Directory

Watch this video to see how easy it is to make mass changes to Active Directory from an external text file without using complicated scripts.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now