[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1207
  • Last Modified:

W2K DNS Fails, missing _msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp

Several times over the past couple months the _msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp entries on our (DNS) domain controller for our domain become missing.  We have only one DNS server.  Once this happens users cannot access network resources.  If I do a netdisag /fix all the entries are recovered/rebuilt and users can then resume normal operation.

 What would cause this to happening?

One friend mentioned checking aging/scavenging.  It was enabled to scavenge stale resource records and set to 7 days.  Allow Dynamic Update was also set to "only secure updates"

I am disabling the scavenging and changing dynamic update to yes to see if this rectifies the problem or not.  Problem is the issue seems to be random.
0
PlazaProp
Asked:
PlazaProp
  • 2
  • 2
2 Solutions
 
Rich WeisslerProfessional Troublemaker^h^h^h^h^hshooterCommented:
It looks like this Microsoft article describes your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310568/en-us
Is it one with which you are already familiar?
0
 
Chris DentPowerShell DeveloperCommented:

Aging intervals: if Scavenging is enabled and the Refresh Interval is less than 24 hours you will find records disappear like this.

You do only need secure updates, although you should inspect the event log to see if events are logged about the server having trouble updating DNS.

If none of those help you may have to look at completely deleting then recreating the zone, it's not unheard of for zones to become corrupt and exhibit behaviour like this.

Chris
0
 
PlazaPropAuthor Commented:
Chris,  I had scavenging set to 7 days check back on my reports the first time this happened was 4 weeks ago on the same day of the week.  Coincidence?

I have check updates back to secure.

Razmus. I check out the MS KB and it sound exactly like that problem we are having.  One thing that I noticed after reading the article is that dynamic DNS updates on  the NIC was turned off.

We have 2 other forward lookup zones to do some static routing.  they do not have the _msdcs and other items.  I don't think they ever have.  They are not part of the AD domain.  This wouldn't cause an issue would it?
0
 
Rich WeisslerProfessional Troublemaker^h^h^h^h^hshooterCommented:
The other two lookup zones aren't on a different server for the same domain name, right?  (I assume they aren't, but just to articulate an assumption...)

Try the scavenging for a while, but if the problem reoccurs... I'd try turning DNS dynamic updates back on.   It sounds like Microsoft has acknowledged it as a known problem with Windows 2000, and they only offer the few possible fixes.
0
 
PlazaPropAuthor Commented:
Well,  The issue has not returned.  I had changed updates to secure and  "Scavenge Stale records" is unchecked.  The time length is set to 7 days but if the box is unchecked the time doesn't really matter.
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now