12U Network Rack Design
Posted on 2010-09-02
We are moving to a new office soon, so I need your advice. I will install a 12U wall mounted cabinet which will include the following:
1. 2U Surveillant system DVR
2. 1U shelf which will carry three Thomson ST608 routers.
3. One 2U 48 ports patch panel or two 1U 24 ports patch panels.
4. One of these two options (please advice):
a. One 48 ports Cisco SRW248P (1U)
b. One 24 ports Cisco SRW224G4 (1U) and one 24 ports Cisco SRW2024P (1U)
5. 1U PDU
1. Which is better to use in points 3 above? Is it better to use two pieces of patch panels 24 ports each or one piece of 48 ports?
2. What about switches? Is it better to use only one 48 port switch or two 24 port ones?
3. If you advice to use two patch panels with two switches, two patch panels with one switch, ore one patch panel with two switches..., in which order is it better to install them? patch- switch- patch- switch? or patch- switch- switch- patch? or .... ??
4. Finally, what is the best order for all of the devices in the cabinet?
The office will have about 20 desks, each one has a doubled network outlets, total of about 40 points. Each desk needs one POE point for IP phone and PC, the other port is for future needs.
There are three users which should have GBit ethernet. For other users, GBit is not required but recommended.