1. I am a newbie to SQL Server - and a humbled Access user.
2. Ideally, I would like to connect our Local SQL server to a remote (WAN)server but I don't know how and I don't know if I have the permissions.
3. I can link to the remote server from Access using ODBC so I have the tables in Access.
4. How do I link the SQL server to the Access tables?
5. I am willing to try step #2 since that would be most efficient.
6. Saw the following in a dead thread:
If that is the case, then it is very simple.
Go to SSMS.
SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio -> Expand Server Objects
-Right Click Linked Servers -> Select New Linked Server
On the General Page:
-Linked Server: Type the Name for your Linked Server
-Server Type: Select Other Data Source
-Provider: Select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
-Product name: Type MySQLDatabase
-Data Source: Type the name of the DSN you created
On The Security Page
-Map a login to the Remote User and provide the Remote Users Password
-Click Add under Local server login to remote server login mappings:
-Select a Local Login From the drop down box
-Type the name of the Remote User
-Type the password for the Remote User