Carry forward value in Access Report

HI all

I have an Access 2003 report I need some advice with

This report has a group section of fiscal years.
There is an unbound control in this section called Base

Initially the first Base value is a value from an underlying query which I use code to fill in problem
Following years is other data for the same fiscal year coming from a subreport with a total called PermTotal..again no problem

Heres where the problem is.
For Subsequent years the next Base should be the previous Base with the PermTotal for this current year.
I have code which has a variable to hold the previous base amount.
and then add in the subreport values for this current year.

I think part of my problem is that my code is in the group section for the fiscal years. It fires when I advance the pages.
Though the stored previous base is available, the subreport values dont appear to be ready they are 0 resulting in the wrong total

I appreciate the help

Who is Participating?
Jeffrey CoachmanConnect With a Mentor MIS LiasonCommented:
Here is the sample.

As you can see there is a Dcount in the Payment sub form footer.
This forces a Zero if there are not matching Main form records.
Then the payment amount can be deducted form the Invoice amount, and the Balance can be displayed on the Main Form

To explain a bit more:
The whole issue is that when a subform has no related records, you can't use NZ(), because it is not null, ...there are no records.

Again, I have seen at least two other techniques to deal with this situation.
I use the Aggregate function because I understand it and I can read the formula(s) and see what is doing and why it is there.


I think you need to supply a sample database demonstrating the problem and a snapshot of the result required.
LucasMS Dynamics DeveloperCommented:
Make that variable a global variable in your report.

Then in the event, determine your logic and set the value of the global variable.
The new generation of project management tools

With’s project management tool, you can see what everyone on your team is working in a single glance. Its intuitive dashboards are customizable, so you can create systems that work for you.

Jeffrey CoachmanMIS LiasonCommented:
I, like hnasr, would like to see a sample of this DB.

My feeling is that there may be a less complicated way to do this...

Sample database notes:
Back up your database(s).
Combine the front and back ends into one database file.
Remove any startup options, unless they are relevant to the issue.
Delete any objects that do not relate directly to the issue.
Remove, obfuscate, encrypt, or otherwise disguise, any sensitive data.
Compile the code. (From the database window, click: Debug-->Compile)
Run the compact/Repair utility.
Remove any Passwords and/or security.
Post explicit steps to replicate the issue.
Test the database before posting.

In other words, a database that we can easily open and immediately see the issue.


As boag2000 suggested, and on many occasions you may find it easier to create a a new database, and import the relevant objects that recreate the issue.
HenryV1955Author Commented:
HI guys

Thanks for responses so far. Maybe I can simplify the problems.

I have a main report with 2 subreports.

If in one control on my main report I use a control source the following:
= [H51] + [subrptLevel_FY_NoAG_PivotStdAcctNonPerm].Report![51NonPermTotal] + [subrptLevel_FY_NoAG_PivotStdAcctPerm].Report![51PermTotal]

This works fine, I have the correct values until one of subreports has no data. Even putting code in the subreport for
 'No data' wont trap this problem

If instead for this control I use code to populate the value, and I use a variable to capture the subreports totals, the variables
come up with zero even though I know the value isnt 0. I put the code in the GroupHeader2 On Print section.
Yes I am group levels on my main report. I suspect its because I'm too soon ahead of the actual subreport value????
Jeffrey CoachmanMIS LiasonCommented:
There are many ways to deal with this situation.

I usually reach for an aggregate function on the Subforms recordsource to insert Zero if no corresponding records are found for the Main form record.

Something "roughly" like this:

IIF(Dcount("SomeField", "YourSubformsSourceTable/Query","SubformForiegnKey=" & MainForm primaryKey)=0, 0, [YourSubFormControl/Fieldvalue])
Jeffrey CoachmanMIS LiasonCommented:
...But there are slicker alternatives to using this method.

I'll try to post a sample later this evening.

Perhaps hnasr will chime back in with an alternate solution.


HenryV1955Author Commented:
Hi Jeff, thanks.....interesting code you provided.

Its interesting I've created dozens of reports, having some issues this one though. I'm sure the answer will come.
boag2000 is leading you to the solution.

"having some issues this one though"
Attach a sample database showing him the issues.
HenryV1955Author Commented:
Hi all
As I was saying, there were 2 issues with this report.
One was a control with a controlsource pointing to subreport controls worked fine as long as there was data.
There other was using an unbound control and filling it using code. I would have rather preferred this way, but for some reason, as I advance record by record, the value from the subreport control, was always a record value behind.
At this point I went with a control source like this
This works ok.
If someone could explain the 'record value behind issue' that would be fine

HenryV1955Author Commented:
Solution provided gave part of the answer, I provided the rest...thanks
Jeffrey CoachmanMIS LiasonCommented:
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.