I was struck by lightning, but not hurt. Explanation???
Posted on 2010-09-03
Here's the story. A friend and I were sitting in the back of a truck shooting a gun. It was raining lightly, but not lightning, yet. I was holding an umbrella and sitting in an aluminum chair. Leaning up against the truck was an all steel rake; so I was grounded. We heard two pretty close together strikes quite a ways off. I told my friend we should go in and he said ok. About 5 seconds later a bolt hit very close. I felt a definite shock go through my hand, that was holding the umbrella, and down through my elbow that was on the arm of the aluminum chair. The shock hurt, but not too bad. No burns or anything like that. I have been shocked by a 100,000 volt stun gun before. I would say this was about 2 or 3 times that. My mother came out of the house and told me the TV was out. Well...turns out the bolt hit the satellite dish and completely fried it, the wires, the TV and the receiver. The wires and where the wires enter the house were burnt very badly. This was obviously where the bolt hit.
I had heard of "finger bolts" or off shoots of the main bolt before. I just assumed for years that this is what hit me. Well...after a little research, I discovered that people that get by the main bolt can die. People that get by the finger bolt just get their shoes blown off, skin burned very back and usually have neurological side effects and can go into temporary cardiac arrest. Needless to say, my experience was nowhere near this extreme. Like I said, it felt like a really bad stun gun shock and then I had a little numbness in my arm and a little tingling. That was it. My question is; I know I didn't get hit by the main bolt, I'm pretty sure I didn't get hit by a "finger bolt", so what shocked me?