Laptop stopped working (turned itself off) and now it sparks under keyboard
Posted on 2010-09-03
Today my wife was typing away on our HP Pavillion DV9000 series (17" | 2 HDs, both 500GB, 4GB RAM, about 2 years old) when suddenly the laptop turned off by itself.
We tried all the usual tricks, remove battery, battery only, plug into a socket we knew worked, etc. but nothing seemed to revive it. The power button is completely unresponsive. The LED where the power cord plugs in is on (blue circle) but otherwise it looks completely bricked.
While working on it I noticed that below the keyboard there was a bright white flashing light approximately under the letters Y-U-H-J. I tried pressing those keys and nothing seemed to happen when all of a suddenly I saw sparks coming out and the color definitely shifted to red (as in electrical spark) I saw a tiny bit of smoke come out and I smelled burned electrical.
I immediately unplugged the power supply and I left it alone. The only thing I did was to remove the C drive and move some files off it so my wife could keep working on them.
I should not that this laptop has been mainly stored in a drawer and has not see a lot of use. I bought it to use as a roaming Music composition unit (for where I keep my Digital Grand) and it served double duty as backup workstation for my work (meaning I have loaded the bare minimum for me to keep working on it (Adobe CS4 suite and other web development tools) and as a backup music recording station.
As either it hasn't seen a lot of use, since my main work computer has been working consistently and as a music station... let's just say that pro Sound cards and Vista never worked very well together and especially couldn't work well on that laptop, so I sort of gave up.
Bottom line: it has been lightly used and almost never traveled.
What could have happened to it? And what was the flashing light and the spark all about?
More to the point: is it toast or is it worth trying to repair?