E2k7 MAilbox and Public folder export > PST
Posted on 2010-09-05
Firstly, many thanks for years of advise and guidance. I have often used the advise given on this forum, either directly or as a start point to resolve countless support issues.
Some History: I migrated SBS 2008 > 2008r2, and left exchange 2007 on the SBS box with the intent to transition exchange to a new install of 2008r2 on spare hardware. However I managed to delete the SBS computer account from AD. prior to that I had migrated all the fmso roles and all was functioning fine, albeit messy AD as would be expected coming from SBS, my intention was to clean it up once all complete. However, I managed to delete SBS 2008 from AD. leaving me with a box I could only access via UNC, I was totally unable to log into it via mstsc or via console. So I copied the the EDB and log files(First Storage Group and Public Folder EDB) to the new exchange server and mounted via recovery console. I attempted the Merge but I got various GUID errors, I also tried various dial tone scenarios. so I deleted the mailboxes not thinking, dismounted the recovery edb and removed (deleted) the recovery dirs, however AD gave me errors relating to databases being mandatory after that. I had managed to mangle AD on my brand new DC and the SBS2008 was inaccessable.
Here's the kicker, the client had no backups. My fault for not performing full backups before starting a project like this.
So I had to bite the bullet, I recreated their domain and Exchange environment from scratch. Disjoined all the computers, and rebuill the DC and Exchange Boxes. the SBS useless as I couldn't log into it.
So after all that I think my question is quite simple. Does anyone know of a tool/s the extract mailboxes to PST from raw EDB files? I need a solution for both public folder and mail EDB.
I have tried exmerge.. two VM's one with exchange 2007 recovery edb mounted and the other with Ex2003 management tools, initially exmerge saw the databases, and failed on the first extract, and I haven't been about to repeat this.
Also, the exchange 2007 recovery console can see the mailboxes and when I attempt to merge I get a guid error. Even when I create a user with the exact name and alias as in the production environment. I have also tried backing up the recovery database in dialtone with BE2010 it also identified all the individual mailboxes but when I restored them to exchange 2007 they were unseen and unusable
I am hoping someone has been in this position and can help.
As a summary all users are newly created and operational on Box1 2008 R2, AD, DHCP, DNS, Box2 Exchange 2007.