Only a week ago I had never heard of Freenas. I now have a working Freenas box, but some concerns I want to be sure on before it goes to production. Many of my concerns are related to the raid.
The final plan is:
4 x 2TB Drives in a RAID5 config leaving us with 6TB of usable storage.
File System will be UFS (based on my research)
At least 2 NICS load balancing over GIgabit ethernet.
1. I understand that software raid CANNOT be expanded? I have been testing with 4 hotswap bays on the box and cannot simply pull drives and rebuild or expand. Is this a limitation?
2. I tested with 3 drives with a complete raid 5 - pulled one of the drives for a test HOT - reinserted the drive - I had to reboot the NAS to get the rebuild started? limitation?
3. I need to initially move 2TB of existing data to the NAS - is there a way to copy sata directly to the storage rather than 2TB over the network?
4. I have read that rsync will allow us to backup the NAS - Can we have another identical NAS on the LAN and have rsync update that NAS on a daily basis without having to move all the data each time?
5. I am not so sure about the limitations of the software raid in Freenas. I have an adaptec 3405 controller - in our windows servers the card would not see over 2TB - Will freenas be able to use the 8TB in drives on this card? Debating scrapping the software raid and putting in the 3405- any advice?