Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of rhwimmers
rhwimmersFlag for United States of America

asked on

Exchange 2007 access error (80004005)

I am using GFI Mail Essentials at a site and I was using the option to move Spam messages into the inbox\Spam folder.  On or around June 3rd it stopped working.  Fast forward using GFI support for a month or so without any luck.
They discovered that in the event logs they were getting an error referencing 80004005, and also noticed a slew of them from Mcaffee's email anti-virus tool so they determined it was an issue with the server/exchange and not their program...
The errors I get from both Mcaffee and GFI ME is similar to the below

The Daily scan scanner failed to scan the item 'file://./backofficestorage/{E0B0FCD1-67D1-4E3E-BDEB-6BE2B494527F}.eml' with error 80004005.

The above is actually from McAffee because its a pain to replicate the error from GFI ME (have to change settings restart services, send test email etc).
They claim that other programs are unable to access certain areas of Exchange, which is why it will not let GFI move an email to the Inbox\Spam folder...

Thanks for any help!  
Avatar of MegaNuk3
Flag of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland image

Create an Outlook profile for the test mailbox mentioned in your question, configure outlook to prompt for credentials and then open the test mailbox as the AV scanning service account and then see if you can open messages in the Test\Inbox\Spam folder or not.

That will prove whether the scanning account has the correct rights/permissions to open these messages or not.
Avatar of rhwimmers


There isnt really a "service account" associated with the GFI software that I could do that with...
So what account does the GFI software use or does it not run as a service?

Also are you using McAfee and GFI ME on the same exchange server? Is McAfee just for file scanning AV and GFI for mail?
Just runs as service.  I have turned McAffe off for testing, but yes they are on the same machine.  McAfee is just for file scanning AV and GFI for SPAM...
I will be interested to see what happens now that McAfee is switched off.
Can you confirm if you have excluded all Exchange files/directories from AV file level scanning as per (still relevant for Exchange 2007)
Same thing happens with Mcaffee off.  It logs errors to event viewer, GFI logs to a file.
Just opened a ticket to MS, will post results when done.
MS will probably tell you to uninstall them both or one at a time
Still open with Microsoft.  It has been escalated to the development team.  When talking to the kind fellow I said "This is going to be a tricky ticket, isn't it?" - he said "Yup"!
Thanks, let us know what solution MS come up with...
Avatar of MegaNuk3
Flag of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland image

Link to home
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Nope, not yet unfortunately..
Ok, finally have it working again - escalated several times at MS to india and back actually!  Ran a variety of cmd line programs I have never heard of or used (downloaded from MS) and ended up using procman to see what was going on.  Turns out a program was creating temp files in c:\windows\temp, they were 0 byte files with random names like idf#### where the #### was the random portion.  Anyway, that directory had the max amount of files of 65535 or something around that.  After deleting all of them it started working again.  I never saw the files growing in that folder, that is until I turned Mcaffee back on and then I had 450 files over a 4 day period.  SO....long long long story short, McAffee was the culprit after all of this troubleshooting!  They were creating the temp files and not removing them as they should - going to uninstall and use a different AV product for the Exchange store.
I hope this helps someone at some time as it was a tough one to fix, and pretty lame to just find a full directory.  I am going to request MS log something to the event viewer when folder is FULL instead of a lame "unknown error"!!!
MS resolution, thanks for helping
Thanks for the points and the resolution