?
Solved

AJAX and HTML encoding problem

Posted on 2010-09-07
9
Medium Priority
?
583 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-18
I have a problem with encoding with AJAX.

I am not using a framework, just standard javascript. Through AJAX I load a HTML file and display the responseText inside a div (innerHTML = req.responseText).

The problem is that it does not load a client-server request, but a regular HTML file, so the encoding goes crazy and things like á , é, í, etcetera are not displayed correctly. I would like to know if there is some way to indicate the XHMTLRequest object to load the response in a given encoding, or to give the HTML file that is loaded an specific header for the Ajax request to understand it correclty.
0
Comment
Question by:LeGrandi
  • 5
  • 4
9 Comments
 
LVL 84

Expert Comment

by:Dave Baldwin
ID: 33619983
It should display using the character set of the page that is loading it.  Is it the same as the page you are loading thru AJAX?  These pages are the most complete description of using AJAX that I have found: http://www.javascriptkit.com/dhtmltutors/ajaxgetpost.shtml
0
 

Author Comment

by:LeGrandi
ID: 33627047
Actually it works that way in Chrome, but not in Firefox or IE. How should I indicate in the html page which is loaded the charset?
0
 
LVL 84

Expert Comment

by:Dave Baldwin
ID: 33628321
Use this line in the header, preferably as the first line below <header>.
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Open in new window

0
The new generation of project management tools

With monday.com’s project management tool, you can see what everyone on your team is working in a single glance. Its intuitive dashboards are customizable, so you can create systems that work for you.

 

Author Comment

by:LeGrandi
ID: 33628387
It still doesn't work
0
 
LVL 84

Expert Comment

by:Dave Baldwin
ID: 33628479
Does the encoding on the original page and the AJAX page match?
0
 

Author Comment

by:LeGrandi
ID: 33628843
The ajax, indeed, is not a Full page with <html></html> and <body></body>, but an HTML fragment and now has a <head></head> with the meta content-type inside
0
 
LVL 84

Accepted Solution

by:
Dave Baldwin earned 500 total points
ID: 33629495
Ok, the only way I was able to get the same encoding on the original page and the AJAX page is to force UTF-8 encoding.  Apparently javascript uses Unicode/UTF-8.  Trying to pass the Latin-1 characters thru it screws up the encoding and display.

Though some of my editors will read UTF-8, it was a real pain to get them to generate it.  Whatever they say, " á , é, í, " is not the same in Latin-1 and UTF-8.  Remove the <head></head> section from your AJAX text and find a way to force it to UTF-8 and use the meta header I gave you above.  Like I said, that's the only way I could find to make it work.
0
 

Author Comment

by:LeGrandi
ID: 33660879
Hi,

it definitely doesn't work, so I will html encode the conflictive characters which is far simpler.

Thanks
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:LeGrandi
ID: 33660883
Not total solution.
0

Featured Post

Never miss a deadline with monday.com

The revolutionary project management tool is here!   Plan visually with a single glance and make sure your projects get done.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

When it comes to write a Context Sensitive Help (an online help that is obtained from a specific point in state of software to provide help with that state) ,  first we need to make the file that contains all topics, which are given exclusive IDs. …
Today, the web development industry is booming, and many people consider it to be their vocation. The question you may be asking yourself is – how do I become a web developer?
HTML5 has deprecated a few of the older ways of showing media as well as offering up a new way to create games and animations. Audio, video, and canvas are just a few of the adjustments made between XHTML and HTML5. As we learned in our last micr…
Learn how to create flexible layouts using relative units in CSS.  New relative units added in CSS3 include vw(viewports width), vh(viewports height), vmin(minimum of viewports height and width), and vmax (maximum of viewports height and width).
Suggested Courses

594 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question